Keep the issue of Great Lakes restoration in the minds of your elected officials and members of your own community by crafting a letter to the editor.
It’s easy and effective. Here’s how to do it.
1. Craft a letter. Here are some helpful tips:
- Make the letter personal, explaining why you care about the Great Lakes
- State what you want, urging Congress to protect the Great Lakes from sewage contamination, invasive species and other urgent threats
- Name your elected officials to hold them accountable for their action or inaction
2. Follow all guidelines set by your local paper. Most papers:
- Want letters to be concise. Keep yours to less than 300 words.
- Require the person who submits the letter to include your full name, address and daytime telephone number.
3. Send it in!
Please let us now if your letter is published by sending an email to the campaign’s communication’s director Jordan Lubetkin at Lubetkin@nwf.org.
You can also post your letter on our blog to keep the heat on Congress.