- Washington Update: Continuing Resolutions and Year End Negotiations
- Senate Interior Bill Maintains Great Lakes Funding
- Updated Action Alert: U.S. House Circulates Sign On Letter Urging Administration to Fund Great Lakes in FY19
- U.S. Senators Ask Office of Management and Budget to Fund GLRI at $300 Million in FY19
- Great Lakes Advocates to Gather in Buffalo, Urging Feds to Maintain Support for Lakes
- Conference Updates (35)
- Field Work (3)
- Funding Opportunity (22)
- Great Lakes Days (8)
- Great Lakes Restoration Initiative (95)
- In the News (99)
- Infrastructure (1)
- Policy (57)
- Press Releases (145)
- Success Stories (139)
- Take Action (42)
- Threats (18)
- Washington Update (15)
Great Lakes Ecosystem Protection Act
In recent years, the U.S. Congress and Obama Administration have made Great Lakes restoration a national priority by passing and funding the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative—a program that funds solutions to some of the most urgent problems facing the Lakes. The historic initiative, however, is not authorized by Congress – clouding its prospects to receive funding in any given year.
Congress can change that by passing the Great Lakes Ecosystem Protection Act of 2011—a bill that authorizes essential restoration programs such as the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative and reauthorizes proven restoration programs such as the Great Lakes Legacy Act.
The bill also enhances regional coordination; increases accountability; and ensures that restoration efforts focus on priorities that produce the most benefit to the Lakes and the people, businesses, and communities that depend on them.
Passage of the bill is an important step in the effor to ensure that Great Lakes restoration efforts are succssful.
Read coalition letters:
• Coalition urges Senate committee to move legislation to restore America’s great waters
• Coalition urges Senate to pass Great Lakes Ecosystem Protection Act and other bills to restore America’s great waters
• Coalition urges U.S. Senate to mark up Great Lakes Ecosystem Protection Act