The Healing Our Waters-Great Lakes Coalition wants to play its part in ensuring that federal Great Lakes restoration investments benefit all of the people and communities in the region—particularly those who have borne the brunt of racial, environmental and economic injustice. The coalition strives to restore the Great Lakes by securing federal funding and policies to stop sewage contamination, halt invasive species, restore habitat, clean up toxic pollution and reduce runoff pollution from farms and cities.
Policy Priorities – 2017
In 2017, the Coalition is focusing on the following federal priorities:
- Funding the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative, the marquee federal Great Lakes restoration program, so that people, communities and businesses can benefit from healthy lakes.
- Funding the Clean Water State Revolving Fund and the Drinking Water State Revolving Fund to help communities fix wastewater and drinking water infrastructure to prevent sewage contamination and protecting drinking water in the Great Lakes region. Related to these revolving funds, the coalition supports the Water Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act to help cities raise the funds needed to repair or upgrade water pipes and other infrastructure that are decades past their useful life.
- Support full Farm Bill funding for regional conservation investments in the Great Lakes region.
- Enacting policy to stop Asian carp—and other aquatic invasive species—from traveling between the Great Lakes and Mississippi River and colonizing U.S. waterways.
- Presidential support of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s final Waters of the United States rule.
- Support swift and strong implementation of the Domestic Action Plans for Michigan and Ohio to reduce toxic algal blooms in Lake Erie.
For more information, contact the Coalition’s policy director, Chad Lord, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Coalition Testimony
- Letters to Congress, the Administration, and Federal Agencies
- Our Advocacy: Great Lakes Day
- Coalition Reports
- Trump Administration