- ‘Continue Great Lakes Restoration Initiative,’ Advocates Urge in New Paper
- Great Lakes Update from Washington, D.C.
- House supports Great Lakes restoration legislation – again!
- Clinton, Trump Campaigns Commit to Great Lakes Restoration Initiative at Candidate Forum
- Great Lakes Restoration Conference Opening Today in Sandusky, Ohio
Priority Area: Eastern Lake Ontario
Eastern Lake Ontario, including the Irondequoit-Ninemile watershed.
PROBLEMS: Water level regulation has caused unnatural fluctuations that damage coastal plant communities and help invasive species, such as cattails, thrive in coastal wetlands.
RESTORATION OPPORTUNITIES: A more natural hydrological scheme for Lake Ontario would help restore damaged wetlands, benefit native plant communities in coastal areas and protect unique dune complexes along eastern Lake Ontario. There is also the potential for increased restoration of native fish species in Sandy Creek and New York’s Ontario Bay.