In the wake of the President’s budget release two weeks ago and on the heels of Great Lakes Day this week, several Representatives are circulating a dear colleague letter in support of the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative. The bipartisan dear colleague asks that members sign on to a letter to Chairman Calvert and Ranking Member McCollum raising funding for the GLRI to $300 million, which is last years’ funded level. The Healing Our Waters-Great Lakes Coalition will be in Washington, D.C. this week to advocate for restored funding.
Please call your Representatives today and urge them to support Great Lakes restoration efforts and sign on to this important letter. Generating Congressional support is key in maintaining needed restoration programs that are producing results.
You may contact your Representative via the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121. You may also contact your Representative on Twitter, the list of twitter handles is here.
Currently, there are 31 cosigners: Reps. Sander Levin (D-Mich.), David Joyce (R-Ohio), Louise Slaughter (D-N.Y.), Brian Higgins (D-N.Y.), Dan Kildee (D-Mich.), Chris Gibson (R-N.Y.), Mike Kelly (R-Penn.), Dan Benishek (R-Mich.), Gwen Moore (D-Wis.), Jackie Walorski (R-Ind.), Bill Huizenga (R-Mich.), Robert Dold (R-Ill.), Debbie Dingell (D-Mich.), Brenda Lawrence (D-Mich.), John Conyers (D-Mich.), Matt Cartwright (D-Penn.), Glenn Thompson (R-Penn.), Rick Nolan (D-Minn.), Jim Renacci (R-Ohio), Paul Tonko (D-N.Y.), Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.), Dan Lipinski (D-Ill.), Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Tx.), Candice Miller (R-Mich.), Bobby Rush (D-Ill.), Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.), Yvette Clarke (D-N.Y.), Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.) Ron Kind (D-Wis.), and Bob Gibbs (R-Ohio).
- The nation cannot afford to stop protecting the Great Lakes – More than 30 million people depend on them for drinking water
- Restoration programs protect our drinking water, create jobs, protect public health and uphold a way of life for millions of people
- The GLRI is producing results, but there is still more work to do
- Cutting restoration programs will actually cost taxpayers more money—because projects will only be harder and more expensive the longer we wait
- Samples of successful projects in your area can be found here
Please urge your member of Congress to sign on and support the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative! The deadline for sign-ons is March 15, 2016.
To sign on, please direct your member to Dan Jourdan in Rep. Sandy Levin’s office.
You may contact your Member of Congress via the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121