This month, several members of the House of Representatives have been circulating a letter that urges President Obama to request funding for the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative at $300 million in Fy2017. With a week left to go, the letter has 41 co-signers. If your representative is not on the list below, please urge them to sign on to the Dear Colleague letter.
So far there are 41 cosigners: Reps. Sander Levin (D-Mich.), David Joyce (R-Ohio), Louise Slaughter (D-N.Y.), Marcy Kaptur (D-Ohio), Dan Benishek (R-Mich.), Gwen Moore (D-Wis.), Shelia Jackson Lee (D-Texas), Jackie Walorski (R-Ind.), Mark Pocan (D-Wis.), Tim Ryan (D-Ohio), Robert Dold (R-Ill.), Brenda Lawrence (D-Mich.), Brian Higgins (D-N.Y.), Marcia Fudge (D-Ohio), Betty McCollum (D-Minn.), Debbie Dingell (D-Mich.), Mike Kelly (R-Pa.), Tim Walz (D-Minn.), Dan Lipinski (D-Ill.), Rick Nolan (D-Minn.), Candice Miller (R-Mich.), Mike Quigley (D-Ill.), Peter Visclosky (D-Ind.), Bobby Rush (D-Ill.), Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.), Dan Kildee (D-Mich.), Grace Meng (D-N.Y.), Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.), Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.), Richard Hanna (R-N.Y.), Ron Kind (D-Wis.), Jim Renacci (R-Ohio), Reid Ribble (R-Wis.), John Conyers (D-Mich.), Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.), Paul Tonko (D-N.Y.), Chris Collins (R-N.Y.), John Katko (R-N.Y.), Bill Foster (D-Ill.), John Moolenaar (R-Mich.), and Steve Israel (D-N.Y.).
You may contact your Member of Congress via the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121.
- The Great Lakes provide drinking water and a way of life for over 30 million people
- The GLRI has enjoyed robust bipartisan support in past years
- President Obama’s budget cuts GLRI funding and we’d like to see it restored to $300 million
- GLRI projects are already producing results (local success stories can be found here: http://live-healthy-lakes.pantheon.io/map)
- There is still more work to do, and current problems will only get worse and more costly the longer we wait
- There are many on-the-ground projects ready to go that need funding
The current budget battle is expected to resume now that members are back from their August recess, but the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative likely won’t be a contentious issue.
The sign on deadline is September 25. If you have any questions or would like to sign on, please contact Dan Jourdan with Rep. Levin (email@example.com); Chris Cooper with Rep. Joyce (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Cheri Hoffman with Rep. Slaughter (email@example.com).