The Dear Colleague sign on letter that has been circulating since early last week has picked up considerable steam. The letter urges President Obama to set funding for the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative at $300 millions for FY2017. This popular program helps clean up and restore our lakes so that people in this generation and the next can enjoy fishing, swimming, and working in and around the Great Lakes. Please urge your Representative to sign on to the Dear Colleague letter if they have not already.
So far there are 32 cosigners: Reps. Sander Levin (D-Mich.), David Joyce (R-Ohio), Louise Slaughter (D-N.Y.), Marcy Kaptur (D-Ohio), Dan Benishek (R-Mich.), Gwen Moore (D-Wis.), Shelia Jackson Lee (D-Texas), Jackie Walorski (R-Ind.), Mark Pocan (D-Wis.), Tim Ryan (D-Ohio), Robert Dold (R-Ill.), Brenda Lawrence (D-Mich.), Brian Higgins (D-N.Y.), Marcia Fudge (D-Ohio), Betty McCollum (D-Minn.), Debbie Dingell (D-Mich.), Mike Kelly (R-Pa.), Tim Walz (D-Minn.), Dan Lipinski (D-Ill.), Rick Nolan (D-Minn.), Candice Miller (R-Mich.), Mike Quigely (D-Ill.), Peter Visclosky (D-Ind.), Bobby Rush (D-Ill.), Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.), Dan Kildee (D-Mich.), Grace Meng (D-N.Y.), Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.), Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.), Richard Hanna (R-N.Y.), Ron Kind (D-Wis.), and Jim Renacci (R-Ohio).
You may contact your Member of Congress via the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121.
- The Great Lakes provide drinking water and a way of life for over 30 million people
- The GLRI has enjoyed robust bipartisan support in past years
- President Obama’s budget cuts GLRI funding and we’d like to see it restored to $300 million
- GLRI projects are already producing results (local success stories can be found here: http://live-healthy-lakes.pantheon.io/map)
- There is still more work to do, and current problems will only get worse and more costly the longer we wait
- There are many on-the-ground projects ready to go that need funding
The current budget battle is expected to resume now that members are back from their August recess, but the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative likely won’t be a contentious issue.
If you have any questions or would like to sign on, please contact Dan Jourdan with Rep. Levin (firstname.lastname@example.org); Chris Cooper with Rep. Joyce (email@example.com), or Cheri Hoffman with Rep. Slaughter (firstname.lastname@example.org).