- Great Lakes Update from Washington, D.C.
- House supports Great Lakes restoration legislation – again!
- Clinton, Trump Campaigns Commit to Great Lakes Restoration Initiative at Candidate Forum
- Great Lakes Restoration Conference Opening Today in Sandusky, Ohio
- Great Lakes Advocates to Gather in Sandusky, Ohio, to Earn Commitments from Clinton, Trump
Threats from Sewage Contamination
Antiquated wastewater systems spill at least 41 billion gallons of sewage into the Lakes every year, closing beaches, threatening public health, and undermining the quality of life for the millions of people who call the region home. We have solutions to halt sewage contamination. Increasingly, communities are restoring wetlands, building rain gardens and installing permeable pavement to deal with storm water before it overwhelms city infrastructure and causes sewage to enter local waterways. Read our 2010 report: Turning the Tide.