- Senator Gillibrand to Introduce Bill on Water Infrastructure Grant Funding
- Washington Update: Fiscal Year 2018 Discussions Continue, Farm Bill Slowed
- Action Alert: Increasing Funding for Water Infrastructure
- Action Alert: Urge House Members to Support Great Lakes Restoration Initiative at $300 Million
- A Big Week for the Great Lakes: Water Infrastructure and Equity Report Released, Great Lakes Day
Threats from Sewage Contamination
Antiquated wastewater systems spill at least 41 billion gallons of sewage into the Lakes every year, closing beaches, threatening public health, and undermining the quality of life for the millions of people who call the region home. We have solutions to halt sewage contamination. Increasingly, communities are restoring wetlands, building rain gardens and installing permeable pavement to deal with storm water before it overwhelms city infrastructure and causes sewage to enter local waterways. Read our 2010 report: Turning the Tide.