- Updated Action Alert: Extended Deadline to Urge Representatives to Support GLRI Funding
- Action Alert: Urge Representatives to Sign On to Support GLRI Funding
- Great Lakes Update: Transition from Obama Administration to Trump Administration Begins
- Weekly News Roundup: Habitat Restoration, Flint, and More
- Great Lakes Washington Update
Threats from Sewage Contamination
Antiquated wastewater systems spill at least 41 billion gallons of sewage into the Lakes every year, closing beaches, threatening public health, and undermining the quality of life for the millions of people who call the region home. We have solutions to halt sewage contamination. Increasingly, communities are restoring wetlands, building rain gardens and installing permeable pavement to deal with storm water before it overwhelms city infrastructure and causes sewage to enter local waterways. Read our 2010 report: Turning the Tide.