- Trump Budget Eliminates Great Lakes Restoration Initiative, Leaving Fate of Lakes in Hands of U.S. Congress
- Great Lakes Advocates in D.C. to Urge Congress to Keep Restoration Efforts on Track
- Coalition: Trump Administration Proposed Cuts to Great Lakes Programs, EPA Unacceptable
- Press Briefing: Trump Administration Proposed Cuts, Rollbacks—Implications for Great Lakes
- Action Alert: Urge Senators to Sign On to Protect the Great Lakes
Threats from Sewage Contamination
Antiquated wastewater systems spill at least 41 billion gallons of sewage into the Lakes every year, closing beaches, threatening public health, and undermining the quality of life for the millions of people who call the region home. We have solutions to halt sewage contamination. Increasingly, communities are restoring wetlands, building rain gardens and installing permeable pavement to deal with storm water before it overwhelms city infrastructure and causes sewage to enter local waterways. Read our 2010 report: Turning the Tide.