- Trump Budget Eliminates Great Lakes Restoration Initiative, Leaving Fate of Lakes in Hands of U.S. Congress
- Great Lakes Advocates in D.C. to Urge Congress to Keep Restoration Efforts on Track
- Coalition: Trump Administration Proposed Cuts to Great Lakes Programs, EPA Unacceptable
- Press Briefing: Trump Administration Proposed Cuts, Rollbacks—Implications for Great Lakes
- Action Alert: Urge Senators to Sign On to Protect the Great Lakes
Great Laker Award
Each year the Healing Our Waters-Great Lakes Coalition presents Great Laker Awards to individuals who demonstrate a strong commitment to restoring and protecting the Great Lakes. The coalition announces the recipients of the awards at its annual restoration conference in the fall.
The coalition bestows five awards per year based on the following categories:
• Citizens Award – Award recipient demonstrates a strong commitment through time and/or other resources to finding solutions to the problems facing the Great Lakes.
• Public Official Award – Award recipient is a mayor, county executive, state representative, governor, or other federal, non-congressional official who has demonstrated a clear commitment to Great Lakes restoration and protection. Award can only go to public officials who are NOT running for office that year.
• Media Award – This award goes to a reporter or media outlet that has helped bring attention to the problems facing the Great Lakes.
• Business Award – This award goes to a business leader that has contributed to a greater understanding of the importance of Great Lakes restoration and protection to our economy.
• Lifetime Achievement – This award goes to the person whose life exemplifies a commitment towards restoring and protecting the Great Lakes.
Nomination forms for the 2012 Great Laker Award can be downloaded here.
To read a list of past Great Laker Award recipients, click here.